How do I find my Sleep Number® setting?
Finding your perfect Sleep Number setting is easy. Just follow these steps:
- Lie down in your favorite position: Relax on your Sleep Number bed in your favorite sleeping position and adjust your pillow to the position of your choice. Now using your remote, change the Sleep Number setting to 100 (firmest), and then bring it down to 20 (very soft).
- Set the number back to 100 – Now, gradually set your Sleep Number setting back to 100. As the mattress gets firmer, experience how your different body parts neck, shoulders, hips and back feel? At a point when you feel comfortably supported, stop. Make adjustments up or down through remote, by no more than 5.
- Take a trial – To find out if your Sleep Number setting is perfect, try sleeping at this setting for the night. The next morning, if you feel the need to make an adjustment, change your number by no more than 5. Use this setting for at least 3 or 4 nights. It is suggested you give your body a little time to adjust. You’ll soon enjoy all the benefits of your luxurious Sleep Number bed.
Can I use a heated mattress pad or electric blanket on the Sleep Number® bed?
Yes, you may use heated mattress pads and electric blankets with your Sleep Number® bed. However, these should not be used with a FlexFit™ or Flexfit+™ Adjustable Base. Both options, and other comfort layers available with us, are a great way to customize your sleep experience. It is to be noted that the use of a heated product with the mattress will cause your Sleep Number® setting to vary. Such changes are normal. They do not indicate your mattress is losing or gaining air. They only reflect the varied pressure in the air chamber due to the temperature difference.
How often should I change my Sleep Number® setting?
It is solely your preference. If you are feeling tired and like to sleep on a softer mattress then simply change your Sleep Number setting. And, in case you need a firmer support, then increase your Sleep Number® setting.
If my sleep partner is sleeping lower or higher in bed, what do I do?
Occasionally, it may happen that two sleep partners have different body types and prefer widely different Sleep Number settings. In such cases, it can cause one sleeper to be supported and cradled lower or higher in the bed than their sleep partner. If you experience such a situation with your Sleep Number® bed, please email or call Customer Service at 1-888-484-9263.
What sheets fit my Sleep Number® bed?
These days, you can easily find “deep pocket” sheets at major department stores. These sheets will easily fit on your sleep number beds. You may also use your older sheet, which are not “deep pocket” style with the help of sheet clips. These will smartly hold your sheet in place.
Sleep Number also offers SmartFit® sheets. Our bedding collection features SmartFit® sheets in exclusive designs. These will make you bed look stylish and also make it easier for you to make your bed. Our SmartFit® sheets come with fully elasticized edge, elastic corner seams and anchor bands to ensure a secure fit.
What can I do to prevent allergens from getting into my mattress?
Sleep Number offer several products that can help prevent allergens from getting into your bed. We offer a special Natural Allergy Defense line of our Bedding Collection to keep your mattress away from allergens. We also offer Total Protection Mattress Pad to prevent any stains to your Sleep Number Mattress Cover. For sensitive ones, we also recommend Total Encasement Mattress Pad to prevent dust mites and other allergens from getting into your Sleep Number® mattress.
How do I clean my Sleep Number® mattress?
- For spot cleaning your Sleep Number® mattress cover, we suggest cleaning with sparkling water and mild detergent.
- Do not dry clean or machine wash/dry the mattress cover or base coverlet. Also, do not apply stain-guard as it may lead to yellowing of the fabric.
- You may consider using our Total Protection Mattress Pad to prevent any stains to your Mattress Cover. Besides, we suggest using our Total Encasement Mattress Pad to prevent dust mites and other allergens from getting into your Sleep Number® mattress.
How do I move my Sleep Number® bed?
As Sleep Number bed is lighter than most traditional beds, moving it should not be a problem. When you wish to move the mattress, it is recommended that you completely disassemble the mattress, base and frame. Then follow the tips given below to pack your Sleep Number® bed:
- Double bag the Mattress Cover and Foam Comfort Pad(s) to prevent stains.
- Deflate and box the Air Chambers to prevent possible abrasions and other damage.
- The Firmness Control System should be packed in a box and surrounded by some sort of packing material in case the original box is not available.
- The Sleep Number remote, closure caps and instructions should be tucked in the box along with the Firmness Control System to prevent them from being lost.
- Although the Sleep Number Modular Base (Foundation) is very strong, it can be bent or twisted during moving. It is suggested you completely disassemble and box the Modular Base for moving.
- Disassemble the frame and headboard. Save all the hardware in a bag and tape it to one of the larger frame parts to prevent loss during transit.
In the case, you are using a moving company we suggest that the mattress be moved assembled and in a mattress box. Your Sleep Number beds can be fully inflated, capped off and packaged in a mattress box for moving. The Firmness Control System should be packed in a box along with some packing material to prevent shock and vibration during transportation.
To learn about the instructions for reassembling the bed, visit our Assembly section.
How do I install the Firmness Control system?
In some cases, it may be required to install a replacement Firmness Control System. Given below are instructions to disconnect your existing Firmness Control System and to install a replacement Firmness Control System.
Steps for uninstalling Firmness Control System
- Find the mattress zipper at the head of bed and completely unzip mattress cover. If your bed has two zippers, use bottom zipper.
- Remove the top panel of mattress cover and set aside. Some beds have a border wrap; note its placement for reassembly of the mattress.
- If your bed has foam comfort pad(s), remove them and set aside.
Steps for installing Firmness Control System
- Remove end wall at the head of the bed to expose the hose connections. For dual air chamber beds, note Left/Right sides of bed. Hose marked with “L” will connect to left air chamber while the unmarked hose will connect to right air chamber.
- Push in grey tab where hose attaches to air chamber and pull to disconnect air hose. Pull air hose out of mattress cover through opening in cover. Slide new hose marked with “L” into mattress cover through opening on left side of bed. Connect hose to air chamber by pressing together until they click. Repeat these steps for right side using unmarked hose.
- Plug new power cord into Firmness Control System and into an outlet.
- Now to close your mattress cover, place your foam comfort pad back on the bed, position the border wrap over the foam topper pad(s), then zip the top panel of your mattress cover back on to your Sleep Number bed.
- After installation is complete, follow the instructions in the Startup Guide (also included with this shipment) on calibrating your new Sleep Number Firmness Control System.
What are advantages of the Sleep Number® bed for allergy sufferers?
Your Sleep Number bed offers several advantages over a traditional enclosed mattress for allergy sufferers. Most importantly, its unique zip-open design allows you to open and view the inside of your bed. This facility is not available in traditional mattresses. Given below are allergy relief advantages that Sleep Number beds offers:
- Innovative zip-open design: The exclusive zip-open design of the Sleep Number bed allows you to easily open and view the inside of your bed. Traditional enclosed mattresses don’t offer this facility. So you can choose to open the Sleep Number bed to ventilate and vacuum. While in the case of traditional, enclosed mattresses, various allergens can be trapped inside and remain unseen.
- Use of best quality materials: We make use of high quality materials that inhibit the growth of allergens or microorganisms that, in rare circumstances, can form inside any upholstered product. Besides, every Sleep Number bed is made using the finest Belgian Damask fabric, which is treated with a Sanitized process for long-lasting protection and comfort.
- Hypoallergenic sleep accessories: We have a complete line of hypoallergenic sleep accessories such as allergy-sensitive pillows, pillow protectors, comforters and blankets. View the Allergy-Sensitive Collection by Select Comfort
- Exceptional Value and Customer Service: To ensure your peace of mind, we offer a 20-Year Limited Warranty and a high level of customer service. Our dedicated Customer Service team is ready to take your calls seven days a week.
How to clean a Sleep Number Bed?
Please follow the instructions below to clean your Sleep Number bed and to keep it free of dust.
- Using the attachment to your vacuum cleaner, remove any surface dirt from the mattress.
- Wet a clean cloth or sponge with sparkling water and spot clean the mattress by dabbing until clean. You may use a mild detergent to remove any difficult spots.
- Unzip the mattress cover.
- Use the vacuum cleaner attachment to vacuum out the inside of the mattress. This will remove dust that may cause allergies.
- Now, zip the mattress cover closed.
What do you think about the Sleep Number beds?
Sleep Number beds are one of the most advanced mattresses available on the market. Thousands of people have used this mattress and have appreciated its advanced features such as the flexibility to adjust the softness or firmness of the mattress and the convenience to change the mattress setting without disturbing the partner. Many people have reported that sleeping on the Sleep Number mattress has helped them get rid of their back problems. However, some people have complained that Sleep Number beds are costly and have reported problems. Please read Sleep Number bed problems before you buy the mattress.
How beneficial are Sleep Number beds?
Sleep Number beds are technically advanced mattresses that offer several benefits to its users. It makes use of air chamber technology, allowing you the flexibility to adjust the softness or firmness with the help of a remote control. Sleep Number beds also offers Dual Air technology and helps couples with different firmness preference sleep together comfortably without disturbing each other. Sleep Number beds have reported to have helped people with back pain and body ache problems. Pregnant women also find Sleep Number beds extremely comfortable as it allows them to change the firmness setting easily and get a restful sleep.
How does the Sleep Number bed work?
Unlike traditional mattresses, which make use of metal springs and coils, Sleep Number beds make use of advanced air chamber technology. The unique air chambers act as a gentle support for your body. And the best part of these air chambers is that it allows you the flexibility to adjust the mattress firmness depending on your specific needs and preference. With the help of a remote control you can quietly adjust the softness or firmness of the mattress.
In addition, Sleep Number beds make use of Dual chamber technology. This means couples can adjust the firmness of their own side of the mattress without disturbing their partner. So with the help of Sleep Number beds, couples with different mattress firmness preferences can sleep together harmoniously.
Can you use any bed frame with a Sleep Number bed?
If you have a bed frame, you may use it with your Sleep Number bed. The mattress can use a standard bed frame appropriate to your mattress size. Alternatively, you may also place your Sleep Number bed on the floor or you may choose to go for foundation legs sold separately by Select Comfort. The foundation legs raise the bed off the floor without a traditional bed frame. You can also choose to buy Sleep Number bases – Modular base, FlexFit Adjustable base or FlexFit Plus Adjustable base depending on your preference.
Difference between Sleep Number and inflatable beds?
Sleep Number beds make use of advanced air chamber technology. This helps you adjust the firmness or softness of the bed with the help of a remote control. Inflatable does not offer the convenience of a remote control. In addition, Sleep Number beds make use of Dual Air technology, this means you and your partner can adjust the firmness setting of your own side of the mattress without disturbing each other, a facility not offered in inflatable beds. Sleep Number bed also offers several advantages for allergy sufferers. Unlike traditional enclosed mattresses, Sleep Number beds have a zip-open design which allows you to open and clean the inside of your bed and help prevent allergy attacks.